This is a calculator for the transmission of derailleur-equipped bicycles.
You may choose between the following calculations:
- the transmission,
- the transmission relative to a certain gear,
- the distance per turn of the pedal (in m or ft),
- the speed at a certain cadence (in km/h or mi/h),
- the cadence needed for a certain speed,
- the number of pedal turns needed for a distance (km or mi).
The table displays the values chosen in the pull-down menu on top.
There is a default setting for the chain wheel (top) and the rear sprockets (left).
You may change this anytime with the corresponding pull-down menus.
You may also change the values for the perimeter of the wheel, the average cadence
and the medium speed.
After a mouse click on any free space of the window or the button "calculate"
the new calculation is performed.
With the "reset" button you get the default values.
In cases when prescribed values are needed for the calculation,
their background has a light color, in the other cases it is dark.
For the calculation of the distance gone per turn of the pedal and for
the pedal turns needed for one kilometer or one mile, the input of the perimeter
of the wheel is necessary. Type the correct value into the field on top.
If you want to calculate the speed you have to prescribe the cadence. The default
value is 80 per minute. You may change this value at any time.
Vice versa, the calculation of the cadence needs the input of a speed in km/h or mi/h.
If you want to calculate the transmission relative to a certain gear, you have to
choose the base gear by a click on the radiobutton in front of the value field.
- Large and small numbers are written exponentially. As example
2.3e5 = 2.3⋅105 = 230000 or
4.5e-5 = 4.5⋅10-5 = 0.000045.
- There is no warranty for the conversion. Cactus2000 is not
responsible for damage of any kind caused by wrong results.
- Please send an email if you have suggestions or if you would like to see more
conversions to be included.
© Bernd Krüger, 15.10.2008